3 Tbsp butter
2 lb (1 kg) carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large onions, chopped
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cups chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2 cups orange juice
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
3 tsp salt – or to taste
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups of light cream (18%)
1/3 cup Drambuie (Optional)
1/4 cup sour cream (Optional)
Cilantro springs (optional)
Makes 6 servings
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, onions and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until water has evaporated and the carrots begin to caramelize. (They will look brown and stick to bottom of pan).
- Deglaze pan with the chicken stock and add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 20 minutes
- Remove bay leaves, add orange juice, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. Puree with a hand held blender or traditional blender.
- Add light cream and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add Drambuie and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro (optional)