1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 tsp of honey
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon, extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Bosc pear, cored & sliced thinly
½ cup crumbled cheese, (choose feta, goat or blue cheese)
- Using a large bowl, mixt together the water, dry yeast and honey. Allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of the flour and ¼ cup of olive oil. Let this mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining flour and kosher salt. Knead until smooth consistency.
- Transfer dough to and oiled bowl and cover with plastic. Allow it to stand for 1 hour.
- Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a skillet. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and continue stirring occasionally until the onions are browned and caramelized
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan. Get the dough and form it to fit the pan by stretching and pressing down on it. Using your fingers, dimple the dough. Sprinkle the dough with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes.
- Spread the caramelized onions over the dough. Place the sliced pears on top of the onions. Sprinkle the cheese of your choice on top of the pears. Drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil over the focaccia.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it turns a golden brown colour.